I think I've screwed up...I have a bf issue that I need help with.
The first week my milk was coming in really good. After that week I had to start taking Zyrtec for my allergies (I hadn't taken it since the night before birth). Now my milk production has significantly went down. I stopped the Zyrtec last night thinking that may be my problem. Is it?? If it is, is there ANY way to increase my milk production?? I'm trying my best to drink as much water as I can. And I'm pumping 2-3 times a day and only getting about 3-4 oz each pumping. Meaning I have had to make the bottles 1/3 breastmilk as opposed to 1/2 breastmilk like I was doing the first week. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Easy Activity Advent Calendar
7 years ago


There are a few things you can do like letting Elizabeth suckle longer and more frequently and making sure to not end a feeding pre-maturely. Something I took, that I felt didn't help me but did help a friend of mine who took it, was Fenugreek. It's a natural herb that you can find in pill or tea form. It's safe to take while BFing (our lactation consultant from the hospital we both gave birth to our children in recommended it).
ReplyDeleteThe only thing is that it may make your breast milk have a slight maple syrup smell but that's it. Good luck and keep at it. Remember that if it doesn't work out you did all you could and gave it 100%!
Have you been nursing at all or just pumping? I know one way is to nurse or just try and pump a little more like every 2-3 hours.
ReplyDeleteE~ I'm just pumping. Tried BFing but we just couldn't get it together so I'm pumping and feeding in a bottle (formula and breastmilk mixture).
ReplyDeleteTo increase your production, "power pumping" will help. You will need to pump every 2 to 3 hours during the day and about 4 during the night until your supply increases.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the hydration!