When I was in labor, the pushing part...I can remember something vividly. Thanks to the wonderful epidural, there was no pain at all. And what I remember was something that kept running through my mind while I was pushing. I was on oxygen at the time, well, I was on oxygen the entire time I was pushing. But what I'm getting to is this...I'm a squimish person at times. And even though I could not see what was going on down "there", I kept my eyes closed while I was pushing. It kind of helped me concentrate on the pushing part, not having anything to look at in the background. So when I did open my eyes, all I saw was the insanely bright white light on the ceiling. Here's the scene: push 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 repeat, repeat, repeat, rest, open eyes, bright light. Then we'd do it all over again. It was tough. And very exhausting. Everytime that I would open my eyes to that bright white light, I kept thinking that I was waking up from a nightmare. A horrible nightmare. No, not my pregnancy. But the thought that my pregnancy was not real was my nightmare. And the thought that I was waking up to nothing scared me. I just knew with my luck I'd wake up and know that it was just simply a dream, not reality. And then those magic words. "She coming! Here's her head, and here's her shoulders!" "Look Laura, here she is!" And my eyes met her beautiful eyes. And then I knew it was real. The strangest and weirdest feeling ever. I was no longer pregnant and that little baby was mine. How could this be? It was amazing.
Something else that replays through my mind are my two regrets from that day. Number one, I wish I would have let my mother stay in the labor room with me when I was delivering. I made her leave. How could I have done that? I think it was the oxygen talking through me. It must have been. Because I really wanted her there. But I think I was aggitated with the BP thing and I was exhausted at the same time. No excuses though, I still wish I would have let her stay.
Number two, I wish I would have TOLD the doctor to GIVE ME MY BABY when she came out. I thought they would put her on me but they didn't. I'm guessing they only do that if you ask. Well...I guess I know for next time.
PACKING TIPS FOR FUTURE MOMMIES:
In the hospital bag, there really is no need for your own gowns. You're gonna bleed and there's no sense in getting all that mess on your nice clothes. Just use the hospital gowns. And bring extra undies. I made the mistake of bringing just two. I had NO idea what PP was going to be like. And I wish I would have brought about 4 pairs of drawers with me. Things get messy after birth. And accidents do happen. No need for your own pads. The gigantore ones at the hospital are the best since, like I said, things get messy. If you are overwhelmed by visitors, just say it. Bring paper, pen, and tape like I did and put a sign on the door that says "nursing" and no one will mess with you.
That's all for now, just a few things that have been on my mind lately. Hope everyone is doing well.
Easy Activity Advent Calendar
7 years ago


Thanks for that!! I have been stressing a little about what to pack and bring to the hospital.
ReplyDeleteMy mother has recently asked me to be in the L&D room with me, but I think I am going to tell her no. *shrugs* I don't know yet. It all depends on how everything is going. I know when I am in a lot of pain I hate people sitting there staring at me.
That is great info. I have no idea what to pack or what to expect. I am still putting together the baby's room and what do you think the absolute necessities are for a newborn.
ReplyDeleteWhat are the things you can't live without?
Thanks for the info. I hope I get to appy it to my life soon!
ReplyDelete