Monday, January 31, 2011

Polishing my horns

So this past weekend was the baby shower for my uncle and his wife. It was in Georgia, I'm in Mississippi, about 6.5 hours away. I didn't go. I couldn't bring myself up to it. Yes, she did drive 6.5 hours to my baby shower last February. But that was before things changed between us. That was when I used to like her. The whole baby name thing really bit my behind and I just don't like her anymore. I'm seeing a whole new side to her since she's been pregnant. I've never met a pregnant women that complains as much as she does. I'd really love to tell her to be thankful for what she has instead of bitching about how horrible it is (well, to her anyway, to anyone else it wouldn't be horrible).

I sent a text. Yep. I was that impersonal about it. I don't even like hearing her voice anymore. I sent a gift with my mom. She went with my grandmother and SIL. My uncle has a very good job and makes lots of money. The wife doesn't work now that they are married. They gave us a high chair and a basket with bath stuff in it for E's shower. So I knew I had to do something of about equal value for theres. I got them a bouncer ($60 retail, but I got it half price!), case of diapers ($30), case of wipes ($10), bumbo seat ($35 retail, but I got if for $20). So I got $135 worth of stuff for $90. I would never spend this much on anyone ever, but I kind of had to return the favor. I told her earlier in her pregnancy (before the name thing) that I was going to do her a basket with all the stuff that you don't think about until you actually need it...the stuff you make a midnight Walgreens run for. Well, I didn't do it. I didn't feel like it. I think I did plenty.

Oh. And I got to tell you about this. Because I think it's ABSOLUTELY INSANE! First off, my grandparents want to go to their house (13 hours away from here) when the baby is born to help out. This their first grandchild in 26 years. My grandmother is a great cook and loves to clean. So she would be a great help for a new mom. You'd think. My uncle's wife has decided that she wants her sister (who lives in Germany b/c her husband is in the Army) and her husband and their THREE children (8, 5, & 3 months) to come stay in their house with them instead. So my uncle has told my grandparents that they can stay in a hotel for up to a week for no charge (something to do with his work).

I didn't even want children in the same room as my baby for MONTHS. I know it's just a new mom thing. But this woman has some serious waking up to do. She's not going to want to come home from the hospital after giving birth, hurting, tired, trying to figure out a new baby, and have to have 5 people breathing down her neck. That's just stupid.

I better get off this. She just makes me mad. I got on here to just tell about my weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you didn't go out of guilt! On the gift thing though, you spent too much. I understand wanting to be fair, but I think finances have to come into play too and you shouldn't feel like you 'have' to do so much...only if you want to. You are awesome and hopefully things will work out for them, that or hopefully teach them a lesson. Either way.

    ReplyDelete