Thank you for the kind words yesterday. I was having a seriously bad day...and that usually doesn't happen with me.
It was all due from the baby shower the previous day. But DH took me to town last night so we could return some of the stuff and get it out of the house. He knew how much it was bothering me. I figured if all of it wasn't staring at me, I would stop thinking about it and relax a little. Add in the fact that I can not sleep more than 4 hours a night and there you have my meltdown from yesterday.
About 80% of what we were given at the shower will either be given away or taken back. We filled my car trunk up last night and managed to get those items taken back to 2 different stores...I only had to bring home one item. I used the credit to buy diapers, wipes, powder, lotion, shampoo, and baby wash...the absolute essentials. I had a hard time sleeping Sunday night knowing that my little girl didn't have anything that she actually "needed".
What's left at the house is clothes that I have semi-sorted through. I don't look forward to that because clothes are a lot harder to take back. It is all either 2nd hand clothes with a smell that makes me gag or new clothes all sized newborn mixed with a few 3-6 month long-sleeved clothes that she'll never wear b/c summers in Mississippi are hot as heck. I didn't plan on buying newborn sized clothes at all. I seriously doubt that my baby comes out weighing less than 8-1/2 lbs. I figured we would just start out at 0-3 month sizes and not waste money on smaller ones. My plan is to take the new clothes (they are mostly Carter's brand) to BRU to see if they will take any of them back, if not I will try a department store that I know sells them. I would like to exchange them for bigger sizes. I do not have any 6 or 9 months at all. Or maybe I could use the credit for other baby items. We'll find out this weekend.
It's not all gloom and doom here. I'll add in a postive paragraph. As I said yesterday, I had a couple of people REALLY surpise me yesterday...both good and bad. My uncle and his fiance bought us a highchair ($140). I was completely not expecting this and am so thankful that they did. And a friend from high school that lives out of town ordered the additional car seat base ($80) and is having it shipped to my house! Again...completely surprised by some people's generousity. I almost cried when I opened the highchair and the card from my friend. They really did not have to do that.
The swing, playard, and baby monitor aren't looking too well...we most likely won't be buying those items. But that's okay, I'm sure we'll do just fine without them. I have a huge list of smaller baby items that I would rather focus on right now. I think I'm going to go this weekend and buy a few of them.
Easy Activity Advent Calendar
7 years ago


I take it people didn't actually buy from your registry?
ReplyDeleteThat is what I am afraid of!!! Sorry your shower dissapointed you. ((Hugs)) When I had my wedding shower, only a quarter of the people showed up. I was PISSED. None of my coworkers came, didn't buy me shit, and my own stepmother and sisterSSSSSS did not make it.
So, I know this time that I am not expecting anything or relying on anyone to get me anything. Me and my husband have been preparing our finances to buy it all for ourselves.
That was very nice of your friend and uncle!!
I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in I don't know how long!!!!!!!!! Now I am back to my usual getting up and peeing every night and just can't sleep because I am generally uncomfortable.
I'm sorry you had a crappy shower, that just sucks. :( But I'm glad you were able to return most of the useless stuff and get the things you actually need. That's a good thing!! (((Hugs))) Good to see you're having a better day today :)
ReplyDeleteSo glad you're in better spirits today!! I don't know why people buy the useless crap for baby showers. Sometimes I don't go by the registry, but I still try to buy something productive. ;) I hope your week continues to het better!
ReplyDelete(((Hugs)))
Which things from your registry are you really wanting? (Other than the 3 you mentioned)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry your shower was a bummer. Awesome that you got the high chair though. I'm not against giving bigger clothes, but I think ahead to what season it'll be when the child hits that age.
ReplyDeleteI felt bummed about my wedding shower, no one shopped off our registry. Our wedding was kinda small & we didn't really get the things we needed either. I don't really mind any of that, but when it comes to my baby, I have no worries. My parents alone will be so excited about being grandparents, my children will never want for anything.
It just kind of aggrevated me that I went to all the trouble of making a registry and people completely ignored it, thus creating MORE work me. I hate having to take stuff back without receipts...it's always a hassle. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad people came to the shower. I guess I just had certain expectations that I should not have had. There were a lot of people that I was certain would come that didn't and stuff like that...and well, I may post on this tomorrow but my grandmother played a huge part in my 'meltdown' yesterday...I just didn't write about it today b/c I didn't want to seem like I was complaining too much, but she really hurt my feelings and made me think that she does not care at all. But it'll be okay. I don't have to have everyone care about the baby b/c DH and I are going to make sure she's loved and has everything she needs.
ReplyDeleteKristin~ I think it's just that there are so many 'small' things babies need. I am going this weekend to buy bottles and the all the accessories for them (just in case I can't bf, but we'll eventually need them anyway), diaper rash ointment (don't want to be without it when we really need it), socks, thermometer and a few other healthcare items, other feeding supplies, cloth diapers for burping, a couple of blankets, and some travel sized stuff to keep in the diaper bag. I think that I should be able to get this stuff this weekend. I don't have a BRU anywhere near me, just a TRU and Target, so I'm going to wait till Saturday b/c we're going somewhere where we'll be right by a BRU. You can spend major money in a baby store and not have much in your hands. But basically, the 3 big items that I mentioned in my post are things I really wish we could have, but I know that they aren't necessary.
Another thought:
ReplyDeleteI really wish I had started earlier buying some of this stuff...big and small. That would be my advice to everyone...start buying early and often to make sure you have everything you need in time.
And I really want to punch the person in the face who told me "Just wait until your shower, you'll get everything you need...you won't have a place in your house for it all". Not very good advice. Now I've left myself with 48 days to buy everything...
I'll keep that in mind! There are times that I'm not sure if I should start buying a few things on sale here & there. I guess I worry that if it just doesn't happen, having that stuff around my house will depress me.
ReplyDeleteI totally KWYM about the registry though! It takes time & effort to make it easy for everyone & what bugged me the most is when someone would buy something similar, but not a color/pattern that I would ever dream of putting in my home!