Friday, February 5, 2010

Need your help on in-law "issue"...

First off, thank you Marie for the comment you left on Erin's post on PAIF. I appreciate what you said. I started laughing when I read the first sentence because you hit the nail right on the head and the rest of what you said made me cry...good tears of course!

Marie's response got me thinking. There is something that I have discussed with DH but I'm not sure he completely agrees with me but I thought I might get your opinions. So here goes...

DH AND MY RELATIONSHIP WITH HIS PARENTS: This is just one set, the other set will have to wait for another day...

I've mentioned before that my in-laws ignore me. Completely, 100% ignore me like I'm not even alive. DH's biological mother (she's no mom believe me) and his step-father decided one day to quit speaking to us. Well two can play at that game. It was nearly 3 years before we bumped into her and she spoke a few words. We've had to see them at a few funerals as well over the last couple of years. The last one...DH's step-father pulls him aside and chews him out about not coming to see his mother. This is the evil work of DH's biological mother. She has the step-father do all her evil deeds while she stands back, watches, smiles, and gets off on it. Fast-forward one year. DH tells me he wants to sell a 5 acre lot of land WE own that his grandfather (step-father's dad) sold him a long time ago. I say okay, it's yours, do whatever you want to. I just want DH to be happy. He wants to sell it to create an account for the baby to have money to go to college on. I think that's very sweet of him. While on the propery with a surveyor, DH's biological mother sees him and pulls her truck up and sits in the truck waving for DH to come to HER b/c she's to lazy to get her fat ass out of the truck and walk on her own two feet. Her nosy self asks DH what he's doing and he tells her. She leaves. A few minutes later, DH and the surveyor leave too. At the end of our road, when DH is turning out on the highway, he sees his mother's truck racing up behind him on the highway. The psycho-freak went and told the step-father at his job what DH just told her and together they race down the highway in their truck to find DH at HIS job. Well....the poor surveyor had to witness all of this. I feel sorry for him. Anyway...when DH gets back to work, they ask to speak to him where they chew him out for wanting to sell the land and offer to buy it for him for 1/3 of what it's worth. (DH's step-family is worried about someone other than family owning land around them) DH told him he'd discuss it with his wife and left them know. I of course do not want their money or anything from them. But that's basically our interaction with them in the last 5 or 6 years...

BABY:

DH went to the step-father's job and told him we were expecting (around 13w at the time). The step-father called the evil witch to tell her when he hands his phone to DH and she tells DH "That's great son". They never call me and wish me 'congratulations' or 'that's great' or even a 'go screw yourself'. We send word through a relative (b/c we're sick of there stupid games) that we were having a girl (once we found out). Never heard anything from them....up until the land episode....and still nothing since DH told them he wasn't going to sell the land (Guess we'll have to come up with something else for college since they don't care if the baby goes to college). This has all been about 4 or 5 weeks ago.

DELIMA:

My rule is that if they do not speak to me before the baby is born, they will not be considered grandparents to her. I will not allow them to see her or come to the hospital. I do not want these psycho-freaks looking at her, touching her, or coming anywhere near her.

Now tell me what you honestly think. Am I out of line??? I am open to hear anything from anyone. You will not hurt my feelings or make me mad. I just would like to know what you think.

Sorry this was so long, I just need to let you know a little history before I presented the problem.

5 comments:

  1. First of all, I am so, so sorry that you have to deal with people like that. They sound positively horrible.

    I agree with you 100%. They're going to be the exact same people after the baby's born as they are now. If they can't treat you with respect now, why invite them into your child's life? Once the baby has arrived, the situation is just going to get MORE complicated and emotional. I'd do exactly the same thing in your shoes: cut them off. If they want in your baby's life, they should have to prove themselves to YOU first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you guys have a falling out or something? Why don't they speak to you or your husband for that matter?

    Honestly, I would leave that one up to DH since that is his parents. If he wants them to see their granddaughter and have some kind of realationship than maybe he can take her up to see them without you?

    That is what me and my DH plan on doing mostly...him taking Viktor up there without me.

    Sorry, you all don't get along. My MIL says she likes me, yet she is so mean and spiteful sometimes.

    But, I don't want to jeopardize her relationship with her grandkid, ya know? So, it is my husband's responsiblity to maintain that relationship.

    Now, if she was an unstable crackhead then HELL NO she can't see the baby.

    GL!! BTW My MIL is not going to my shower either and already said she is not getting us anything because all "my friends" will get that for us...PFFT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to let them see the baby. But if there was a family function or whatever then it might be ok for the grandparents to see her there under my supervision. We have a similar situation with a grandparent. From some of the stories I've heard from J's childhood I told him our kids will never be in her care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm. I completely hear you, but I'm with E...I'd leave it up to DH and make it his responsibility if he wants the baby to have a relationship with them.

    But I would never, ever leave her unsupervised with them. If DH wanted to take the baby to see them, I'd go along and be a HAWK, I tell ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it's not too late to comment on this. As the grand daughter of a crazy alcoholic, I 100% agree with you. I'm sorry, but if she's like this now, to you, she'll be like this to your daughter too. I've forgiven my grandmother for the way she treated me growing up, but there's NO WAY that she will be a part of my children's lives & be given the chance to treat them poorly.

    If your DH wants to give them pics/updates, that's one thing. I'm just not one who believes in rewarded bad behavior. Children can pick up on quite a bit & they shouldn't even have to have the confusion of having someone treat their mother that way. JMO though!

    (((HUGS))) Sorry about the added stress, I know you don't really need it.

    ReplyDelete