Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Recipe - Cowboy Stew

Since I have nothing important to talk about today, I'm posting a recipe I made last night. It is one of DH's favorite homemade soups/stews.

1-1/4# ground round
1/4 C. finely chopped bell pepper (you can add more if you like)
1/4 C. finely chopped onion (you can add more if you like)
3 medium baking potatoes chopped (the smaller the pieces - the easier they cook)
1/2 can of corn (you can add more if you like)
2 cans of rotel tomatoes (or petite diced tomatoes)
1 can of ranch style beans
3 C. water
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
dash of ketchup
1 t. sugar
1-1/2 t. chili powder
optional: diced jalapeno peppers with a little juice (if you like spicy)


Brown the meat with the bell pepper and onion until cooked. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low for 1 to 1-1/2 hours (make sure the potatoes are cooked all the way). Serve with cornbread.

7 comments:

  1. Mmm sounds yummy! And perfect for Autumn. And I love the name!! I might try this in the crock pot, think that would work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should work.

    I like this recipe b/c it's very simple to make and it tastes great...makes me feel like a good cook, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm going to make this recipe tonight i think ;) thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can you tell me how big the can's are (like for the tomatoes and the corn)?? I suck at cooking and need a lot of direction ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the rotel tomatoes come in a 10 oz. can and the corn is either that size or a little bit smaller. DH doesn't like a lot of corn, so I only use 1/2 a can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you!!! I'm excited to try it! I had to go to 3 different stores for the ranch style beans though... grrrr. And I'm going to try making it in the crock pot

    ReplyDelete
  7. It'll probably have to cook longer in the crock-pot. Those beans are hard to find. And I can only find ONE brand of them. It'll be worth it though, it's some good stuff. This is what I make when we have company for dinner (which isn't often) b/c it's easy and tastes so good...makes people think I can cook when I really don't cook that great at all, lol...trickery at it's best!! Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete