Thursday, April 30, 2009

Update from Initial RE Visit Today

It finally got here! I went to see my RE today for the initial consultation. When we arrived at the clinic, DH went and sat down while I went to the window to give the receptionist my ins card and DL. I had already done my paperwork online so I did not have to do anything else. When I was finished and sat next to DH, he said, "There's no pregnant ladies in here." My response..."That's right...we don't have to stare at bellies in here." That was nice. Because when I went for my post-op earlier this morning, EVERY person in the room except for me was PG. I got a little sidetracked, sorry...where was I? Oh yeah, I was called back and we went to the consultation room and the RE's nurse came in and asked us bunch of questions. Blah, blah, blah. Then the RE came in. He had already looked over our history and proceeded to ask more questions trying to find out what we had done and where we currently are. Even asked me about the S/E I am having from Metformin and Clomid. DH asked if his counts were okay or if there were anything else he could do. RE looked at him and said, "No, in fact you could give lessons." DH's count was 60 mill with 70% motility and 80% morph. DH liked that - he's been bragging ever since. Anyway, the RE said that we were healthy, the test were all good and where they needed to be, but he wanted to change my medicine. I am on round 6 of Clomid and he said that it is doing it's job of making me O, but since I have not gotten PG yet, then I probably need to try something else. Basically, Clomid has done all it can do for me - so no more Clomid or Metformin as of today. He suggested I use Femara next C with IUI. The thing that caught my attention (as well as DH's) is the fact that he said Femara does not have all the S/E that Clomid has. Awesome! I'm all for this! So he told me to pick up a box of OPK's (he suggested the digital with the smileys), start taking 5mg of Femara on CD5-CD9 and call his nurse the day that I get my "smiley" and we will do the IUI the next day!! And another HUGE plus, this is not costing near as much as I thought it would. I was expecting maybe $500 or more...try $350 (and yes, that includes the washing and all)! RE then said that if this is going to work for me, it will most likely work within the first 3 tries. After that we may want to discuss other options. I then asked if he recommended TAB between each of the IUI's or if it was okay to do them one after the other. Doesn't matter he said. It is strictly up to us. Another awesome!! I was so afraid he would want to wait a C or two between the IUI's. I know I am getting ahead of myself, but you gotta be prepared! So that's my plan - Femara and IUI next C and using OPKs. My prediction is that the IUI will be on/around May 21st. He did not seem worried about my short C's. As DH and I were leaving, you have to exit down this hall that has huge tackboards (for the lack of a better word right now) with loads of baby pictures. I got tickled. After we passed up the pics, I said to DH, "Did you notice that alot of those baby pictures were of twins". His eyes got big and he had to turn around and go back to look!! Hah!! That was funny. Another awesome before we left. They told me all I owed was my $25 co-pay. Heck yea! They said ins was coving the rest of the consultation visit cost ($200). Then when I went to get the Femara filled, they paid for that too (minus another $25 co-pay). Freakin' awesome!! That rx is expensive...almost $150.

So, I am so freakin' excited right now if you can't tell yet! I feel relief for the first time in months. I feel like a huge weight and burden has been lifted from me. And I feel such an empowerment knowing that we have a plan. A real plan. I really, really feel good right now. I got the OK this morning from my GYN to resume my normal activities (been sittin' out for 2 wks from the LAP) and we are so gettin' it on tonight! So I will talk to you ladies later!!

1 comment:

  1. YeaYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! great news! I am so happy for you and your DH that you get to move straight forward and that you have a great plan in place. That is so great :-) I don't blame you for being excited. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete